Monday, September 14, 2009

White Plains Rd Bronx July 2008

It was my intention to go to the Morris Park section of The Bronx. I had recently read an article in a newspaper that it was much like the much better known Belmont (Arthur Ave) section in that it had many great Italian restaurants, cafes, etc. Getting all the way over to the East Bronx by subway from Innwood in Manhattan is a chore. I would have to take the train downtown, then go crosstown and catch the #6 train. Instead I decided to take the good old trusty B12 bus from Innwood to White Plains Rd, hike down to Morris Park Ave and catch a bus to my destination and do some sightseeing on the way. Unfortunately, by the time I got to Morris Park Ave there were ominous rumblings in the sky. The weather channel had given a severe thunderstorm alert and I decided it would be wiser to head home. As you can see from the photos, you don't go to the Bronx to view it's magnificent architecture. The Bronx traditionally was the home of a working class population living in sturdy but not particularly attractive buildings. That being said though, the lowest greasy spoon in The Bronx probably serves better food than you get in most places in the country. The Italian food is extraordinary by any standard. I want to return to the pizzeria that The Village Voice called the best pizzeria in NYC in 2007. I can't believe that this place comes anywhere near the incomparable Full Moon Pizzeria on Arthur Ave but who knows?

No comments: