Wednesday, September 2, 2009

The road to Bayonne April 2009

I was curious to try out the light rail system leading down to Bayonne and Fred came along. We were hungry and I wasn't sure if there was a commercial district with places to eat in Bayonne, so we stopped to have a steak at Tads. It really is not a bad place. The steaks are cooked right in front of you as you wait in line. The baked potatoes are pre-baked and kept hot by some devilishly clever system beyond human ken. And you get garlic bread and a salad.

For quite some distance going South from Hoboken, the light rail system takes you through a jungle of concrete and glass high rises with all the charm and personality of a jail cell. The thought makes me shudder.

The rail system now terminates at 22nd St, although they are working on extending it to 8th St.

When you exit the train, all you can see is houses and a convenience store and an Exxon gas station. I asked the gas station attendant where the hot spots of Bayonne were? He seemed a little startled at the thought and said that all the shopping was a block away on Broadway.

Broadway is the main drag and stretches endlessly north and south. This end of Bayonne seems somewhat old fashioned in that you do not have an endless expanse of chain stores. There is even an old fashioned hardware store. I looked in the window of a pizzeria just as the baker put on a fine show of twirling the sheet of pizza dough in the air. I am a sucker for showmanship. I may return to taste the pizza to see if it is equal to the showmanship. I was still too full from lunch at Tads.

Took a picture of what I thought at first was an Eastern Orthodox church. Turned out to be a Byzantine rite Catholic church. I believe the Byzantine rite allows priests to marry. I don't know why the entire Catholic church does not switch over to the Byzantine rite. The priesthood would then cease to be a magnet for every child molester under the sun.

The Road to Bayonne April 2009

No comments: