Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Flatbush Ave at Night Nov 2008

Well, we tried the Haitian cuisine at Kombit on Flatbush Ave. The food was not bad and the owners were certainly nice but I simply cannot get excited eating tropical tubers prepared in multifarious ways. As a matter of fact, I am starting to detest tropical tubers. I had hoped that the French culinary influence would somehow work wonders but even they would experience limitations here. Even a French chef could not be expected to work miracles when presented with garbage raw materials (tropical tubers).

They tried to evoke a feeling of home cooking with mom back in Haiti. These foods would no doubt count as comfort foods to Haitians. However, their perception by people who did not grow up with them would necessarily be different. I personally dote on certain foods from my Saxon childhood and count them as comfort foods. Foods like smoked eel, fried herring, potato dumplings with gravy, various raw fish, pickled in various ways, blood sausage, whole grain Westphalian bread. I however have more sense than to offer these foods to people who did not grow up eating them. If I have any doubts, I need only listen to my children's retching sounds as they see me eating the stuff.

You certainly do not experience the same sort of bustle on Flatbush Ave at night that you do on the Lower East Side.

Flatbush Ave at Night Nov 2008

No comments: