Sunday, September 13, 2009

Ft Tryon Medieval Festival Sep 2008

I had not been to one of these events in 20 years. I had been told that, at one of the earliest of these events, Barry Greene had built a working catapult and was lobbing boulders into the Hudson. He told me that he had left his anvil there and never got it back.

Everything seems to be "ye olde" I should point out that the Y was used for both th sounds. The Anglo-Saxons used the 33 character futhark alphabet until they were forced to switch to the Latin alphabet following the Norman conquest. Futhark though was much better suited to the English language because it had letters representing sounds that did not exist in Latin, such as the letters Edh and Thorn.

It was a miserable rainy day. I was surprised at the number of people that showed up. I very quickly noticed that the lens on my camera was fogging up on the inside. I completed my circuit and hurried home as fast as I could because I was worried about damaging my camera.

Ft Tryon Medieval Festival Sept 2008

No comments: