Thursday, September 3, 2009

W Grand St and Vicinity March 2009

Usually my downtown forays are conducted on the Lower East Side. This time I decided to explore Grand St, starting all the way west. This section has a large number of striking buildings, cast iron and otherwise. However, beyond Lafayette street, the buildings become more humdrum. I decided to follow Lafayette St north and eat at this wedge shaped diner on Kenmare St. The old sign outside still calls it the Corner Delicatessen but the menu calls it la Esquina. All the food is Mexican. The young woman behind the counter looked Mexican but spoke English like a native New Yorker. She then turned to one of the staffers and spoke perfect Spanish. I asked to see the breakfast menu but it wasn't available at that hour. I asked what they served for breakfast? Tacos, burritos. Do Mexicans eat the same sort of food three meals a day? I asked for her recommendation for something simple and ordered the Plato Julia. Meat is an extra side but I wasn't very hungry and I skipped the meat. Hot sauces are available at the counter. Your choice is green or red Habanero sauce. Be careful. To my surprise, I actually enjoyed the black beans. I am normally not a fan of beans. I am going to return to this place and try something else. Tel 646-613-1333.

On the return to the subway, I found that I had missed a burlesque house, Corio, at 337 W Broadway and Grand St. The current show is THIS IS BURLESQUE, featuring hostess Miss Astrid, who wears a striking eyepatch. Tel 212-966-3901. WWW.THISISBURLESQUE.COM. You are advised to enter the code of PASTIE to get $5.00 off the price of admission on smartix.com. Performers are Trixie Little and the Evil Hate Monkey, Peekaboo Pointe, Lil Miss Lixx, Miss Saturn, Melody Sweets, The World Famous Pontani Sisters, etc. Hours are Friday at 8:00 PM and Saturday nights at 7:30 and 9:PM.

W Grand St & Vicinity March 2009

No comments: