Monday, September 14, 2009

Innwood Farmers Market Aug 2008

Not quite the selection that you find at the Union Square Farmers Market but it is convenient. I had almost forgotten how good milk can taste until I bought a half gallon ($5.50), unhomogenized, in a glass bottle, from grass fed cows from Milk Thistle Dairy. The price of fresh basil has plummeted to $1.00 for a large bunch. I don't know what I can do with more basil. I already have several quarts of pesto that I made in the freezer. The Biodynamic vendor sells quark, which I find to be much tastier than cottage cheese. I believe that the difference is that quark is made from naturally occurring bacteria from the air whereas cottage cheese is made from yeast cultures. One of the vendors sells cheeses naturally aged in a limestone cave. These cheeses are not dipped in wax nor are they packaged in plastic. I bought a 2 pound jar of Japanese Knotweed honey. I haven't tried it yet.. The garlic sold is much more pungent that the stuff imported from China that they sell in the supermarket.. I am looking forward to the first Staymen-Winesap apples

No comments: