Friday, September 18, 2009

Breezy Point April 2008

It was my intention to go to Riis park to pick up some maps and then to head to Broad Channel with my botanical books to investigate the plant life in the middle of Jamaica Bay. However, the Q35 bus drops you off beyond the eastern edge of Riis park. Another indication of the political pull of the inhabitants of Breezy Point to channel public transportation to way beyond their location. I traversed the length of Riis park without finding an open park office. At that point I found myself on the edge of Fort Tilden and I decided to just continue walking to Breezy Point. The fence that starts at Ft Tilden continues all the way to Breezy Point, preventing you from seeing Gateway Park beyond the Breezy Point community unless you pass through Breezy Points security first. This I refused to do. Instead I simply walked down a roadway to the right that led to a yacht club, walked to the beach, and entered Breezy Point that way.

The buildings in Breezy point are more substantial than those in Roxbury. There is a small shopping center where most necessities can be purchased. The cuisine though is uninspired, judging by the coffee shop. I had intended on walking all the way through the community to the public park lands beyond. However, I was starting to develop blisters on my feet from having walked so many miles in my brand new boots, and I decided to head home

Breezy Point April 2008

No comments: