Sunday, September 20, 2009

Carroll Gardens March 2008

I thought I was in Red Hook but one business on Columbia St stated that they were in Carroll Gardens and another a few doors down that it was Cobble Hill.

Freebird books, 123 Columbia St is a large and very nice second hand bookshop. They also sell Moxie soda and T-shirts. The owner said that he has it shipped in from Maine and was very interested when I told him that I get it in Kuttstown, PA. www.freebirdbooks.com

DUB Pies, dubpies.com. These are small pies with mostly meat fillings that are designed to be eaten out of hand. Prices range from 3 to 5 bucks. The idea seems to be similar to that of a Cornish pasty. 193 Columbia St.

Mucho Gusto, 115 Columbia St, e-mail infor@muchogustoinc.com, 718-834-8786. I have not been inspired by Carribbean food in the past but they do have a daily lunch special for $6.00. I wound up eating in a Mexican place on Court St and have had gas all afternoon. If Carribbean food is less gassy, I might give it a whirl.

Pit Stop, 127 Columbia St, www.pitstopny.com. Lunch ranges from $7 to $11. A lot of the menu items feature goat cheese, a fact that does not appeal to me. I remember a pair of lesbians out in Pennsylvania who ran a goat farm. Everyone raved about their expensive goat cheese but to me it had the consistency of Craime Fraiche but less flavor than cream cheese. I have concluded that people who offer goat cheese on their menus are being pretentious. As usual, it is left up to me to point out that the emperor has no clothes. That being said I will say that I am intrigued by their Snails in the Potato item on the menu. I love snails.

Jakes Barbeque, www.jakesbbq.com. I don't know why but the idea of barbeque does not make my heart go pitter patter. No special lunch menus. Entries range from $7.95 to $24.95.

Carroll Gardens March 2008

No comments: