Thursday, September 3, 2009

Holy Shit March 2009

"Holy shit", I said to myself when I saw that Teitel Brothers on Arthur Ave advertised anchovies at $11.99 a kilo. I hopped onto the B12 bus to investigate. It was true. Vanilla extract was $5.99 for a 4 ounce bottle. Sopressata ham was $4.99 a pound but you had to buy it unscliced. I seriously doubt that any of the huge suburban supermarkets could match those prices. Certainly they could not match the quality of the Italian foods sold here. That explains why there was a line waiting to get in at 10:30 in the morning. They are open Monday though Saturday.

Two ladies were behind me waiting to get into Teitel Brothers. They asked me for directions and I asked them where they were from? " Windsor Connecticut", they replied. "Foreigners, eh", I replied? "Welcome to New York". They looked at me in bafflement.

I went into the M&G diner to have breakfast. Eggs easy over, homefries, toast and coffee $4.53. The cooks worked with amazing speed. The waitress called the orders to them in Spanish but with odd English inclusions. Spanish taketa taketa, scrambled all the way, more Spanish taketa taketa, whole wheat toast, taketa taketa (this is what Spanish sounds like to my ears, high speed and harsh taketa taketa).

Tried the Sicillian pizza at Full Moon Pizzeria. Bad mistake. The thin crust pizza is vastly superior.

Holy Shit March 2009

Finally got myself a cigar at the Cuban cigar store. $2.00 for a wonderful hand made cigar that I happily puffed on on the way to the return bus

No comments: