Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Waterfalls, July 2008

When asked the reason for these waterfalls, Olafur whatshisname said that we only see the surface of water but that there is a whole world underneath. Strange reasoning that makes no sense to me. I can get a much better appreciation for what is under the surface of water by looking at the sides of a beautiful tropical aquarium in the Staten Island ferry terminal. This is simply a spectacular waste of resources. There is no beauty in the industrial contraption that holds the waterfalls and they look out of place in their settings. Fortunately many people I have spoken to have concluded like I did that the emperor has not clothes. This is an act of arrogant bullshit.

By contrast I am posting pictures of a waterfall by the 51st St subway station. I would have designed it to look more like a natural waterfall. Nature abhors straight lines and the straight slabs of this waterfall are too reminiscent of the detestable International Style. However the sound of rushing water creates the effect of a soothing oasis of peace. Ugly though it is, this waterfall more than justifies its existence. I cannot think of any way in which Olafur's waterfalls justify their existence.

Still, there is something to be learned from Olafur's experience. Think of something absurd, useless and ugly and label it art and idiots with more money than brains will flock to you with money. I therefore will try to enter this game with my own project. I want to tape multiple layers of baloney sausages to the pedestal of the Statue of Liberty. When asked for the reason for this art project, I will respond that when something looks like baloney on the surface, when you dig deeper, you usually find even more baloney underneath

Waterfalls July 2008

No comments: