Sunday, September 20, 2009

Western Rockaways March 2008

I had been curious what the Western end of the Rockaways peninsula was like. It is so tedious to get to that I suspect that few who do not live there ever bother traveling so far. One way of getting there is to take the A train to Broad Channel, a village in the middle of Jamaica Bay with a subway station. There you have to switch to the shuttle which takes you to the end of the line as far as the subway is concerned, the community of Rockaway Park. However, you are still several miles from the gated community of Breezy Point. To travel further in that direction, you take the Q25 bus. The route of the Q25 though ends at 169 St, still about 2 miles from Breezy point. If you get discouraged at that point, you can hop on the Q35 bus which will take you to Flatbush Ave and civilization. I was determined to walk, if necessary. I reached the gated community of Roxbury when it started raining. I took some pictures and walked back to the bus stop in disgust.

Roxbury is a community of the type of construction sometimes referred to as bungalows. I suspect that at one time it was a summer only colony. It looks like cheap construction. Under the clapboards you will probably find cheap beaverboard instead of sound wood. Beaverboard is sawdust glued together. It would probably not pass any modern building codes. Nowadays they would simply have plopped down mobile homes. Even the churches look like cheap bungalows.

There are no tresspassing and beware of dog signs everywhere. I was frequently stopped by people asking me if I was lost. Strangers, it would appear, are infrequent and not wanted. The streets are cement paths the width of sidewalks. The avenues are dirt tracks in the sand. There is no topsoil or grass anywhere. The whole place was built on sanddunes, like in a desert.

There is little for anyone to see so far. However, I am determined to expose Breezy Points secrets to the World. I will be back..

Western Rockaways March 2008

No comments: