Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The Plumbers Menorah and Other Tales of NY

After cracking about two dozen Black Walnuts, the very substantial nutcracker that I had bought in Woodstock, broke under the strain. The steel pin linking both halves simply bent under the strain. I went to my local hardware store in Innwood. The proprietor offered me a flimsy nutcracker. When I told him that Black Walnuts would laugh at such a flimsy nutcracker, he began muttering to himself in Yiddish. When I asked for a visegrip, he looked at me like I had lost my mind. He offered me a tiny visegrip that was too small to accomplish anything.

Today, I decided to stop off at a hardware store near Zabars on Broadway. They had been there forever but had just gone out of business. Another victim of Depression II. I soothed my hurts with a candied chestnut Gelato and the owner told me about another hardware store on Amsterdam Ave, a few blocks away. This was Beacon Paint & Hardware at 371 Amsterdam Ave, www.beaconpaint,com. The first thing you notice upon entering is a huge Menorah made of plumbing parts. They will happily sell you this Menorah for $109.99 and they will ship it anywhere (although probably at a very substantial cost). Anyway, I got a monster visegrip that makes mincemeat of the Black Walnuts. I am now looking for tougher nuts to crack.

3 comments:

Laura said...

thanks by stopping by my blog...man, I am amazed at how that story has circulated!!! Makes me happy...and I wonder what Roger would ever think about it all...

and I have to say that I am LOVING looking through your pics and posts..moved to LA almost 9 years ago, from Carmine and Bleeker...and still missing NYC...

Felcy said...

My cousin recommended this blog and she was totally right keep up the fantastic work!

姚义丰 said...

正妹牆 正妹牆 正妹法警 正妹圖片 正妹日報 杜雷斯正妹牆 杜蕾斯貼圖區正妹牆