Saturday, October 3, 2009

Borough Park, Jan 2008

This time it is Borough Parks turn for a brief visitation. I have been so tied to Manhattan that I have neglected Brooklyn since I moved back to the city. I couldn't find Shlomo Weiss' bakery (the best humantashen) but I did find Crown Deli. Unfortunately they were out of kasha knishes. Theirs are made of a thin circlet of dough open on both ends and the filling is more onion than kasha. Wonderful. The corn bread at Korn's bakery was fluffier, drier and less sour than I remembered it. Maybe I caught them on an off day.

I was hiking down 65 St heading for 22nd Ave and Motel's bakery for some cheap and good sheet cake but I got pooped and headed home. Borough Park is clearly expanding because I never saw black clad Orthodox on 18th Ave and 65th St before. I saw a fair number of Chinese too. The Chinese will be missing a bet if they don't open kosher Chinese restaurants there.

Borough Park Jan 2008

1 comment:

Dace said...

Is Motel's still open and if so, where is it? My grandparents used to get cakes and cookies there and it would be fun to visit the place that reminds me of my grandparents.