Saturday, October 17, 2009

Chennai Garden and Kalustyan

Chennai Garden, 129 E 27th Street (bet. Park and Lex), 212-689-1000, www.chennaigarden.com, sets out a buffet brunch for $6.95 of wonderful South Indian vegetarian (and Kosher) dishes. Of course being vegetarian makes it easy for them to achieve Kosher certification but the fact is that they have taken the trouble to obtain such certification. I fasted that morning and I piled three plates high and wound up so stuffed that I could not eat any more. I don't think that my meal cost me more than it would have cost me in some fast food feedlot. Out of towners may dote on their cheeseburgers and deep fried Oreo cookies but they can keep that crap to themselves.

After lunch we explored the neighboring Kalustyan's, 123 Lexington Ave, NY,NY 10016, tel 212-685-3451, www.kalustyans.com. Never have I seen such a profusion of herbs and spices as well as specialty Middle Eastern foods. I bought a bag of Gum Arabic for $1.99. Among the peppercorns I found bags of peppers that looked like miniature pine cones. Never even heard of such things. They even sell Sumac berries, so that I don't have to go into the wilderness to pick them any more

No comments: