Saturday, October 3, 2009

NYC Lower East Side Oct 2007

So just recently Ira Donewitz advised me via e-mail about this wonderful and cheap chinese restaurant he had found on E Broadway in the Lower East Side. It is all he said it was. You can watch them making your own personal noodle on a table in the corner. I don't know how long it is but one noodle fills your whole bowl. The only utensils provided are chopsticks and plastic spoons. Ira chopped his noodle up with the plastic spoon but I felt like a barbarian and just lifted a section with my chopsticks and bit into it. I was so stuffed that I did not go on to Yonah Schimmels Knishes, as planned. However, I did pick up bialys from Kossars Bialys and pickled okrah form The Pickle Guys, 49 Essex St Between Grand St and Hester St, 1-888-4-pickle, www.nycpickleguys.com, under the Rabbinical Supervision of Rabbi Shmuel Fishelis.

Look closely because in the blink of an eye this will all be transformed into luxury high rise condominiums whose inhabitants will buy their bialys in plastic bags at the supermarket from Lenders and whose idea of pickles will be some bland concoction pasteurized in glass jars without any taste. They will visit Europe and wonder why we can't produce great foods like that in the USA. Mayor Bloomberg, are you paying attention?

NYC Lower East Side Oct 2007

No comments: