Saturday, August 29, 2009

FISTFA May 16 2009

I had thought I was going to have to work overtime Saturday. I therefore bought hot dogs because of the limited time I thought I would have. Then the overtime was cancelled. Next time, due to popular demand, I may make Labskaus again. There is after all, far too little exposure to Saxon cuisine in these shores. This FISTFA marked the first appearance of Mike and Naomi Moslow. They brought over a tremendous amount of delicious food, as did the Phillipses. It is a good thing that everyone brought appetites to match Bob Rodriguez said that he has an eidetic memory. This would explain his tremendous repertoire of both raunchy and clean songs. I told him that I find it peculiar that most Spanish speakers do not know the meaning of their family names. I cited as an example the name Hernandez. This is almost identical to the German Hermann, which means a lordly man. The ez ending is an s sound which in the Germanic languages is used to indicate the possessive. So Hernandez would mean son of Herman in the Visigothic language. Likewise, the name of the city of Burgos would have simply meant "walled city" in the Visigothic language. I posited that you simply cannot understand a lot of Spanish names if you have no command of the Visigothic language. Mike Moslow told us what his family name means in Polish but I have forgotten what it was. Then we talked about the use of bagpipes in various European countries, including Poland. Someone mentioned that it is the custom of Polish bagpipe players to march in a circle as they play their instruments. Someone commented that this is because a moving target is harder to hit. There was a great deal of laughter. I had a feeling that I am the only one in the group who actually enjoys bagpipe music. Bob Rodriguez said that there is a community in Colorado that speaks a 17th century form of Castillian Spanish. They also follow this sado-masochistic Catholic custom of self-flagellation during certain holidays. He said that practitioners of this cult 1500 years ago would actually crucify a volunteer We had a good turnout with simultaneous intense discussions occuring throughout the house

I forgot to mention that John Boardman said that he was a direct descendant of Ragnar Shaggybreeks and told the story of how Ragnar got the name of shaggybreeks

FISTFA May 16 2009

No comments: