Saturday, August 29, 2009

Coney Island and Little Odessa April 2009

I wanted to see what was left of Coney Island after the destruction of Astroland. Plus I was alerted to the Coney Island History Project by mt ex Barb. To my great surprise, there is a great deal of Coney Island left. Taking the place of Astroland will be features that are even now being put in place that are reminiscent of the old circus sideshows. That is the right direction to go. Giving Coney Island the Disney touch would be the kiss of death. This place was built on saloons, whorehouses and PT Barnum like characters. Astroland was too bland and Disney like compared to what appears to be comming in.

I didn't hear a word of English while shopping in Brighton Beach. Even the toddlers speak Russian. Smoked fish and pickled things everywhere. I was in heaven. I am sorry to have to report the apparent death of Mrs. Stahls Knishes. This first class knishery has apparently been replaced with a third class hero sandwich place, Subway.

Coney Island and little Odessa April 2009

No comments: