Friday, August 28, 2009

Burmese New Year Water Festival July 2009

There are so many things to do in the city, all at the same time. I was tempted to go to one of the many Bastille Day celebrations. However, I was really curious about Burmese food. Today happened to be Burmese New Year and on this day they also throw water at each other. Most of these activities were conducted by the children (and the young at heart). This water playfulness was confined to a limited area. However, the sun was so hot that I would not have minded having a bucket of water thrown at me. Unfortunately that would also have destroyed my camera.

The food is hard to characterize. They tend toward spicyness. Some of the foods are the familiar Chinese tofu and rice noodles. The spices though are Indian curry spices. One of the Burmese told me that historically, the main outside influence on the culture of Burma has come from India. The food is so delicious that I wonder why you never seem to see fat Burmese?

I met a Burmese gentleman who has set up an organization to publish Burmese fairy tales in English for the benefit of Burmese children here. The organization is Aungzay Institute, Inc., 725 River Road, Suite 32-268, Edgewater, NJ 07020. www.aungzay.org. The purpose is not just entertainment but also the values these tales teach


Burmese New Year Water Festival July 2009

No comments: