Friday, February 13, 2009

Irminsul

Not far from my home was the Irminsul. This was the center of the Saxon religion and was destroyed by Charlemagne. This, after a 30 year war by the Franks against the Saxons, lead by our great chieftain, Widukind, or Wittekind. There is a story that Widukind entered the camp of the Franks in disguise,hoping to spy out the enemy. However, he was discovered and brought in front of Charlemagne. Charlemagne though so admired Widukind's bravery that he let him go.  I just have the faintest memory of a song about the Irminsul. Possibly sung by my friend's grandmother while at her spinning wheel, or maybe just in a movie. I sometimes wonder if my friend's family were the last surviving Saxon pagans? I don't remember any sort of religious rituals at all in their house. However, they would have had to keep a very low profile to survive at the hands of the meek and gentle Christians. After the grandmother died though, observance of some of the unique local festivals seemedto drop off.

No comments: